Drum Triggering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck you, WeAreInFlames, you have done pretty much nothing but insult me in threads, whether it be my musical taste or anything else for that matter. Did you not read the part where I SAID I was trying to find out if this was correct? Hell, in one thread where I actually asked for some recommendations on bands that you deemed were "good," you didn't answer. I guess when you can't be a douchebag, you take less of an initiative in answering questions. Whatever.

that's just how he is, I just deal with it.

I agree, clicky drums are a deal breaker for me.

Same here. I generally find blasting and more extreme metal drummers annoying and terrible anyways. It's not just because of drums no longer sounding like drums and use of triggers.

Calm down.

The best way to get a good drum sound in the studio for a record is to mic up the bass drums with proper placement as well as triggering it. That way you get the dynamics from the air vibrations in and around the bass drum and also you get the thick consistent sound that you require. Contrary to layman's belief, there is NOTHING wrong with triggers.

To me, the best sounding drums are on Opeth's Ghost Reveries. The snare, toms, bass, symbols, everything just sounds perfect (to me).

And I am glad I was wrong about what triggering was. I kind of found it hard to believe that many metal bands would do that (what I thought it was, that is).

The most annoying thing for me when it comes to drums is when they use a hollow snare. Sounds like the drummer is banding on a trash can. Lamb of God's drummer uses that a lot, too much. That's just me though, and it usually isn't enough to put me off completely.

Fuck you, WeAreInFlames, you have done pretty much nothing but insult me in threads, whether it be my musical taste or anything else for that matter. Did you not read the part where I SAID I was trying to find out if this was correct? Hell, in one thread where I actually asked for some recommendations on bands that you deemed were "good," you didn't answer. I guess when you can't be a douchebag, you take less of an initiative in answering questions. Whatever.

Tbh I was going to answer your question, but it was already answered. I don't really know who the fuck you are, so I can't answer for having insulted you in the past, but n00b is hardly the most stinging of insults. Everyone starts off at the bottom. If you direct me to the thread you mentioned, I'd be happy to recommend you some bands.

The thread is here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/general-metal-discussion/479027-how-following-bands-live.html Nevermind, the thread is closed for some reason, which is maybe why you didn't answer. If it was, then it wasn't even your fault. You can answer here, if you would like.

Btw, I bought a CD by In Flames (I assume that is what your name refers to), Come Clarity, but haven't listened to it yet. I decided to listen to Arsonists Get All The Girls first instead. If you would like to join the fun and rip me a new one for liking that band, you can do so here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/general-metal-discussion/484802-arsonists-get-all-girls-2.html. I would please ask that you keep the insults about that band localized to that thread.

No one has a problem with you liking a band or really gives a shit and it's more of the fact you're acting like a tard not knowing when to just drop it.

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I LIKE (INSERT) BAND. wow

If you want to make yourself a target that's your problem.

Come Clarity is an excellent album but takes a number of listens to really get. Most people here don't like it. Personally I would have started with The Jester Race, though, as it's their best.

Most modern death metal bands use triggers because double bass is extremely stupidly hard to keep in time going some of the speeds a lot of bands do. Get over it. It's not cheating; it's not a crutch. They still have insane stamina and skill, it just makes one of their jobs that much more efficient and simple.

Wow, you were really quite incorrect here.

I mean, he's right that probably most use triggers, and he's right that they still have insane stamina and skill.

It's subjective as to what qualifies as a crutch; my opinion is that I don't care how they do it as long as it sounds good, so programmed drums, triggered drums, it's all fine as long as what reaches my ears pleases me. But I see how some could think of it as a crutch or whatever.

But then again, triggers have nothing to do with keeping in time, so he was wrong there.

No one has a problem with you liking a band or really gives a shit and it's more of the fact you're acting like a tard not knowing when to just drop it.

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I LIKE (INSERT) BAND. wow

If you want to make yourself a target that's your problem.

I wanted to have a discussion about the band . . . Like I said, several times, I don't care if people hate them, but give some reasons. Why don't you like them? Just calling them shit and what not is lazy.

WeAreInFlames-

It isn't so much that they are using a clutch, just don't hide behind it.

Crutch. Unless we're talking about driving all of a sudden.

And what do you mean "hide behind it?" If there was no drumming except constant double kick for the whole album I'd see what you mean, but double bass is at the bottom of the sound. The quality of a drum performance is usually determined by the quality of the snare and cymbal work.

Yeah, crutch. . . kinda tired.

when I say hide behind it, I mean giving a false impression, as in letting people think they aren't using it. I mean, if people would actually read the credits that came with CDs, it wouldn't be a problem, but how many people do that anymore?

But then again, triggers have nothing to do with keeping in time, so he was wrong there.

And that was pretty much the crux of his post, hence my reply.

And speaking of incorrect....

And what do you mean "hide behind it?" If there was no drumming except constant double kick for the whole album I'd see what you mean, but double bass is at the bottom of the sound. The quality of a drum performance is usually determined by the quality of the snare and cymbal work.

Double kick is generally quite prominent in metal, and many people salivate over drummers largely due to their double kick speed. Also quality of the performance is generally determined by the quality of the overall performance amazingly enough. I don't think I've ever heard "Wow, what a drummer! The kick drums were all over the shop but that was some insane snare work! 5 stars!"

Come Clarity is an excellent album but takes a number of listens to really get. Most people here don't like it. Personally I would have started with The Jester Race, though, as it's their best.

? I thought Come Clarity was pretty listener friendly. I loved it when it came out.

Double kick is generally quite prominent in metal, and many people salivate over drummers largely due to their double kick speed. Also quality of the performance is generally determined by the quality of the overall performance amazingly enough. I don't think I've ever heard "Wow, what a drummer! The kick drums were all over the shop but that was some insane snare work! 5 stars!"
Tbh I usually focus more on the cymbal work. I love double bass but there's not much to listen to there; it's either going or it's not.

? I thought Come Clarity was pretty listener friendly. I loved it when it came out.
Yeah, but most people don't really get the album as a whole until after a bunch of listens.

LOL, I love how this thread has just descended into a flame war. Some guy asks about triggers, and now people are arguing over the Come Clarity album :guh:

That statement was flawed for the following reasons:
1. There's no flame war.
2. No one's arguing about Come Clarity, Chris is just having one of those senior moments where he thinks someone asked his opinion about something different than the topic at hand.
3. Welcome to the forum, this is more or less how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.