David Gilmour fans ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I was reading another sub-forum and the name was thrown around sort of off-topic within a thread. Any fans here ? I personally think Gilmour is beyond description in his feel for his instrument. Some of his solos come darn close to making tears well up in my eyes. He sings good too... for that matter.

Bryant

I think Gilmour just may be the most underrated guitarist of all-time. It seems he never gets his due when players from his era are discussed. Then again, neither does Pink Floyd. When people discuss the all-time great bands, you always hear the same handful of names, but Floyd is rarely mentioned. Personally, I'll put Floyd's and Gilmour's body of work against anyone's.

I can't agree more. His phrasing, dynamics, vibrato are all masterful. His licks are deceptively simple, but he milks every bit of emotion out of each note. I also think he's an underrated vocalist. While he doesn't have the strongest voice, the dreamy, ethereal nature of his vocals perfectly fit the Pink Floyd sound.

I think Gilmour just may be the most underrated guitarist of all-time.

Personally, I think Alex Lifeson is more underrated, but I mostly agree with you. I've always had a lot of love for Gilmour and I still love his "About Face" album. For me, he was the reason why I loved Pink Floyd, not Roger Waters.

Gilmour is absolutely the most under-rated guitar player of the past 45 years. I don't know how many of you saw the Pink Floyd tour here in the US in 1994, but Gilmour was simply amazing. This is a quote from some un-named young adult I know;
It is cruel how I was born too late to see bands from this era in their prime, still performing live. Music nowadays simply does not have any soul to it, its just a hollow beat echoing the genius of a bygone era of musical art...such a shame...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4_zur5hjw&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2aOccbfAqE&feature=related[/ame]

On a side note, Robin Trower is also another of the most under-rated guitar players of his time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilmour is something else

Soon as my lunch hour is over, I am firing up DIVISION BELL

I never ever tire of that album - genius stuff

Just listened to Live in Gdansk for the first time this morning...perhaps the best-sounding live album I've ever heard. His tone is amazing throughout and he's got such phenomenal feeling in his playing. It's a shame that so much of what he plays on is marred by the fact that he's an utterly average songwriter (in my opinion), but he's one of my favorite guitarists regardless.

God, what I wouldn't give for he and Roger to do one last album together, but even with the recent detente between them, I can't imagine it'll ever happen.

Just listened to Live in Gdansk for the first time this morning...perhaps the best-sounding live album I've ever heard. His tone is amazing throughout and he's got such phenomenal feeling in his playing. It's a shame that so much of what he plays on is marred by the fact that he's an utterly average songwriter (in my opinion), but he's one of my favorite guitarists regardless.

God, what I wouldn't give for he and Roger to do one last album together, but even with the recent detente between them, I can't imagine it'll ever happen.

Saw the Video Live in Gdansk and it was phenomenal. Their live version of High Hopes was incredible. It was one of the best live concert videos I've seen in a long time and highly recommended for fans of Pink Floyd or David Gilmour.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gV-W93-OY&feature=related[/ame]

Sucked that he wasn't there when Roger Waters toured on The Wall this past fall. Definitely felt that missing.

No one plays with the emotion that DAVID GILMOUR does. Just listen to the solos in Comfortably Numb and Coming Back to Life. He also has one of my favorite singing voices, too. Fucking incredible musician.

Personally, I think Alex Lifeson is more underrated, but I mostly agree with you. I've always had a lot of love for Gilmour and I still love his "About Face" album. For me, he was the reason why I loved Pink Floyd, not Roger Waters.

You know I have to agree with you 100% while also vehemently disagreeing with you 100%. I realize that is pretty much an oxymoron......

Allow me to explain. I really don't get Alex's solos at all. Having said that, his textures that he creates on rhythm are absolutely nothing less than incredible.

Bryant

Other noteworthy under-rated guitarists:

Brian May
Steve Hackett
Steve Howe
Ian Crichton
Justin Hayward

GTR with both Hackett and Howe

Brian May and Queen
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgJPjXAmL0&feature=related[/ame]

Justin Hayward and Moody Blues

Ian Crichton and Saga
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs9JgSuz8t4&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilmour is awesome. Great tone, phrasing, and vibrato.

To J-Man's post above, I always thought Richie Sambora was a very underrated guitarist.

Check out Mr Gilmoure in this video, the man can play anything

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrNQCYh70Y&feature=related[/ame]

Gilmour is absolutely the most under-rated guitar player of the past 45 years. I don't know how many of you saw the Pink Floyd tour here in the US in 1994, but Gilmour was simply amazing.

I caught that tour in Vancouver, BC. Absolutely amazing. I still get goose-bumps listening to Pulse and thinking about that show. I saw Roger Waters a few years later and he had 2 guitarists trading off, trying to reproduce Gilmour's solos and they weren't even close.

13 year bump...

PINK FLOYD Legend DAVID GILMOUR Announces Four US Live Dates; Video Trailer

"...David Gilmour has announced US shows at Hollywood Bowl on October 29 & 30, and at Madison Square Garden on November 4 & 5. Sign up now at davidgilmour.com to get first access to tickets Wednesday, May 15 at 10 AM, local time. Tickets on sale Friday, May 17 at 10 AM, local time.

The live shows in New York and Los Angeles will be Gilmour’s only concert appearances in North America. The touring band includes: David Gilmour, guitar & vocals; Guy Pratt, bass and background vocals; Greg Phillinganes, keyboards; Rob Gentry, Keyboards; Adam Betts, drums; Ben Worsley, guitar; Louise Marshall, background vocals; Hattie Webb, background vocals and Charlie Webb, background vocals...."

newgilmourtournew524.jpeg

"...Gilmour's his new album, Luck And Strange, will be released on September 6 via Sony Music.

Luck And Strange was recorded over five months in Brighton and London and is Gilmour’s first album of new material in nine years. The record was produced by David and Charlie Andrew, best known for his work with ALT-J and Marika Hackman.... Pre-order the album here...."